Residential Frequently Asked Questions

A: Unfortunately, we are not open on weekends. We strive to provide our staff with a good work/home balance and want our employees to spend weekends with their families. We apologize for the inconvenience this might cause.

A: We establish a price for ferrous steel on a monthly basis. The price is usually set by the 10th of each month. Our prices for nonferrous metals can go up or down daily depending upon the market conditions. As our downstream buyers adjust their prices according to the global market, we will adjust our prices to follow suit. Our commitment is to always negotiate the best price possible with our downstream buyers, and to do everything we can to keep our margins as low as possible. We cannot control the commodity market, but we will make every effort to provide you the best price the market will bear.

A: Unfortunately, our hauling service is exclusively for commercial customers. Our trucks are not designed to service residential neighborhoods and streets.

A: Yes. We accept any metal-based appliance. However, appliances containing refrigerants do require special consideration.  Safely and responsibly recovering and managing refrigerant gases is very labor intensive and costly.  For this reason, we accept these items as a donation-only-item.  It is important to note that it is illegal to vent refrigerants into the atmosphere.  It is also illegal for us to accept appliances that have been illegally vented.  Unless we can verify from the customer that the refrigerants have been recovered by a qualified technician, we will reject refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioners that have had the refrigerants already removed.

A: No. Unfortunately, we are not equipped to take paper, plastic, or glass from gate customers. There are a number of waste/recycling companies in the Pikes Peak area that are better equipped to recycle these items on behalf of residential customers.

A: No. Ethical recycling of electronic waste encompasses a lot of considerations that are outside the scope of our expertise. We recommend electronic waste be recycled through Blue Star Recyclers. They can be reached at 719-597-6119.

A: No. Although we are capable to managing the fluids present in the scrap vehicles we receive, we are not able to accept any fluids as a standalone product. Likewise, we cannot accept compressed gas cylinders unless they have been de-valved. We are not a hazardous waste facility and cannot take items that are toxic, radiation emitting, or that contain polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB). PCBs are commonly found in large transformers and in lights ballasts manufactured prior to 1979. El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste offers free disposal of these items for residents living in El Paso County, Colorado. They can be reached at 719-520-7878.

A: No. We are not able to accept wood or any other form of yard waste from our gate customers. We recommend recycling yard waste through Rocky Top Recycling. They can be reached at 719-579-9103.

A: We can only recycle lead acid automotive batteries. Unfortunately, we are not able to take alkaline, Ni-Cad, Ni-Mh, lithium ion, lithium polymer or any other type of batteries. Batteries can be recycled through Blue Star Recyclers. You can call 719-597-6119 for more information.

A: No. We will accept tires on the scrap vehicles we receive, but we are not able to take tires as a standalone item. We recommend you recycle tires through Geocycle. You can call 719-227-9860.

A: Yes. However, we must take steps to verify the vehicle has not been stolen. Provided the vehicle has an attached vin plate, we can run a vin verification for a small fee and complete a bill of sale. We will then hold the vehicle for seven days before processing as an added assurance that the vehicle’s owner has ample time to report an incident of theft. If the verification reveals that the vehicle was reported stolen, we will report it to the police and cooperate with their investigation.

A: Yes! We are very proud of our facility and love to help educate the community about recycling and environmental sustainability. We welcome school classes, youth groups, and other civic groups to take a guided tour of our facility. To schedule a facility tour you can contact our Relationships Manager, Andy O’Riley, at 719-390-950ex. 114.